Atlanta Police are investigating four carjackings and a pedestrian robbery that took place this week, and investigators believe the crimes are related.
“The City of Atlanta experienced its fourth morning carjacking in three days today in the Midtown area (off of Cheshire Bridge Road),” a spokesperson for the Atlanta Police Department said. “Our investigators are looking at the possibility of connections among them. We also had an armed robbery this morning in Midtown that we believe may also be connected.”
The spokesperson added, “These have all occurred in the morning between 5 and 7 a.m. in the Midtown/south Buckhead area within a relatively tight radius. We are taking these crimes very seriously and will not rest until the perpetrators are caught.”
Here are the descriptions of each incident, provided by Atlanta Police:
– On May 14, 2018 at approximately 5:30 a.m. Zone 5 Units responded to 196 Montgomery Ferry Road in Northeast Atlanta regarding a carjacking. Upon arrival, the victim advised that as he was returning to his vehicle a black male dressed in all black exited from the bushes with a handgun. The suspect pointed the gun at the victim and demanded he drop his keys. As the victim dropped the keys another male dressed in all black appeared and both suspects left the location in the victims vehicle. The vehicle is described as a silver 2013 Toyota 4Runner.
– On May 14, 2018 at approximately 6 a.m., Zone 5 Units responded to 1234 Francis Street in Northwest Atlanta regarding a carjacking. Upon arrival, the victim advised that as he was parked in his driveway gathering belongings from the inside of his vehicle two black males approached his vehicle. The black male on the driver side pointed a black hand gun at the victim and demanded he give up his belongings. The victim then exited his vehicle and charged towards the suspect with the weapon. The suspect fired two shots towards the victim but missed. The suspect on the passenger side of the vehicle entered and the driver seat and reversed the vehicle out of the driveway and at that point the suspect with the handgun entered the vehicle and they fled the scene. The vehicle is described as a silver Infiniti G25 with 2 vintage skate boards sitting in the rear window.
– On May 15, 2018 at approximately 6:15 a.m. Zone 2 Units responded to 1544 Piedmont Avenue in reference to a carjacking. Upon arrival, the victim advised that as he was locking his vehicle to go inside the gym he was approached by two black males. One of the males put a small black handgun in his face and demanded his keys. The victim gave the suspects his keys and they left the scene in the victims red Infiniti Q50. The suspects were described as two black males wearing dark clothing and black ski masks, about 5″06 in height and about 145-155 pounds. The victim stated that only one of the suspects was armed.
– On May 16, 2018 at approximately 6:30 a.m. Zone 2 Units were dispatched to 2153 Melante Drive in Northeast Atlanta regarding a carjacking. The victim advised that while leaving the gym (800 block of Peachtree St. NE) around 6:00 am he noticed a newer model silver Infiniti G35 traveling behind his vehicle near the 2000 block of Cheshire Bridge Rd NE. The victim stated he became suspicious of the suspect vehicle when he noticed that the vehicle started following closer at the intersection of Cheshire Bridge Rd NE and Woodland Ave NE (southern night business). The victim advised that the vehicle was not behind him after he turned onto the street where he resides and at that point he pulled into his drive way and proceeded to exit his vehicle.
As the victim exited his vehicle, two black male suspects exited from the rear of the suspect vehicle, silver Infiniti G35, and walked toward him. The victim stated that the first black male suspect with gray ski mask pointed a silver hand gun towards his chest/face area, while a second black male suspect with gray ski mask with a red bandana on top also pointed a black hand gun from the rear of his vehicle. The victim was told to give up his vehicle keys and cell phone and to get on the ground. As the victim was on the ground he observed the suspects leave the scene in his vehicle, a 2015 black Audi A8. The second suspect followed in the silver Infiniti G35. The victim advised that there were two additional suspects in the back seat of the Infiniti (four suspects total).
– Pedestrian Robbery: Possibly Connected
On May 16, 2018 at approximately 6:50 am, Atlanta Police were dispatched to 1616 Piedmont Avenue in Northeast Atlanta regarding a pedestrian robbery. Upon arrival, the victim advised that as she sat in her vehicle, before leaving for work, a male approached her on the driver side of her vehicle and said “hey”. As the victim turned to look at the male he had a black handgun pointed at her head. The suspect is described as a medium to dark complexion black male with a small build who was dressed in dark clothing and had on a black mask covering his face with an open oval shaped pattern stitched for the eyes. The victim screamed, and the male then told her “don’t scream, shut up, shut up” before taking her work bag off of her left shoulder, which contained her Dell work laptop computer and student test files. He then demanded her cellphone. After receiving the cell phone, the suspect then told the victim to type in the passcode to unlock the phone. Once she typed it in, the suspect made her disable the lock feature and location services. He then asked if she had any money and the victim replied “no”. A silver vehicle pulled up behind the victim’s vehicle and the male got into the vehicle through the rear door and left the scene. A witness at the scene advised that the vehicle was a silver Infiniti with a dent on the front passenger side near the front bumper.