By Gabriel Owens, contributor
The Atlanta BeltLine Inc. held a briefing and discussion group Thursday night at Trees Atlanta, discussing the Eastside Trail expansion.
Principal Engineer Katherine Owens gave a breakdown of the various pieces in motion on the east side, including the upcoming closures to the Krog Street tunnel.
“Northbound will be closed June 12 through the 30, she said. “And then southbound will be closed July 1 through the 21st.”
Much of the work being done in the tunnel is related to lighting and safety rails, she said.
Meanwhile, the part of the trail from Wylie to Kirkwood is expected to be finished today. Additionally, the ramp from Irwin Street to Edgewood Avenue will be closed June 5 – 12.
“The trail on Irwin will remain open, though,” Owens said.
Among the other highlights discussed at Thursday’s meeting:
– The asphalt on the Irwin Street ramp, a safety concern for many residents, will be fixed “very soon,” although fixing it has created some “interesting issues” according to Owens.
– Concern over the safety of the trail where Wylie crosses near Flat Shoals was brought up, and Owens admitted a speed table was needed to slow traffic down, and that they were going off of “a four year old plan” that needed updating.
– The rest of the trees on the Eastside are expected to be planted by the end of June.
– There is not expected to be any ribbon cutting ceremony for the completion of the Eastside.
– The new lights along the trail are not going to be motion sensor activated, as many residents believed. Owens was unsure of their timing mechanism, however.
– Owens assured residents that the Kirkwood intersection would be safe for bike riders.
The total funding for the Eastside Trail Extension is $18 million, with $3 million coming from donations. Phase one of the extension is expected to be completed in the next few months. The next quarterly briefing for the Atlanta Beltline is expected to be Tuesday, June 6, at Park Tavern in Atlanta. The meeting starts at 6 p.m.